Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gender & Heartbreak

First of all, let me share the good news...

It's a Beach BABE! I've felt from the beginning that she was going to be a girl, and so I was really excited to find out that I was right! Mike and I are so happy! It makes everything more real to us. My favorite part is that we both agreed on a name that we both love: Chloe.

Don't worry about how awful I look in this picture...worry about how we're holding twelve ultrasound pictures and looking pretty happy. :)

The ultrasound was awesome. The guy who did it was very helpful, explaining exactly what he was checking for and making it understandable. Chloe is doing great and every single thing about her is perfect, except for the one thing that I feared the most:

My baby girl has clubbed feet.

For those of you who don't know or don't remember, I was born with radically clubbed feet. Surgeries and casts were a norm for me. After that, I got used to using foot braces. My feet have some pretty gnarly scars running on the inside of both feet from my heel to my big toe. I can't stand for long periods of time without my feet aching, and every morning I have to pop my right foot--the worse of the two--into place. It sounds like a bone breaking--ask Mike or my mom. I can't wear heels because of the shape of my feet. The right foot is shorter than the other. I can't point my toes. Sometimes they hurt so bad that nothing helps but a good cry.

I do NOT want this for my daughter.

I understand that there are worse things out there. I've heard several times that "well, technology has come a long way, so it's not a big deal." It is a big deal, at least for me. Maybe if I hadn't gone through it personally and I didn't know about the everyday aches and pains and inconveniences, I'd feel differently.

Then again, maybe that's why she was sent to me. Maybe she needs a mother who knows how much it hurts and can empathize instead of sympathize. Maybe she needs someone who can tell her what to expect and not be clueless.

I know that Chloe is going to be fine. I know that she'll be able to walk and run and dance and do whatever she wants to. That does not change how I feel about this. It's going to be hard on her. She might trade between casts and foot braces for the first few years of her life. I was talking to Mike about the different things I had to wear and I think it's beginning to sink in for him, too.

I'm grateful that I know what to expect. I'm grateful that this isn't some extremely rare birth defect or disease that I have never encountered. I'm grateful the Lord is sending me what I know I can handle.

But that doesn't mean I can't cry.

7 comments:

  1. Oh jess. I'm so sorry. I don't have much to say because I haven't gone through that myself, but you are right- I am sure she was sent to you because you can understand. When she is born you will think she is a perfect little angel and everything will work out ok. If you ever need to talk or cry, call me. But I am so happy for you and Mike, a baby girl will be so fun. Can't wait to have a baby shower for you! I better get started on some new baby bows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess you are going to be such a good mom to that little girl! Yes modern technology is amazing but good mamas are hard to come by!

    Ps....Isn't it so weird we're having babies!? My goodness time sure flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations again! Chloe is such a beautiful name and I can't wait to meet her! I'm so sorry to hear about her feet though. Just because you might know how to handle it doesn't make it any less heart breaking. I love you both and most importantly Chloe will be loved by great parents!
    Congrats on your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jessica! I love you so much! I want you to know that I will ALWAYS be here for you and little Chloe. I am so excited to meet this little Angel...just know that she's up there dancing with Grandpa and so excited to meet her Mommy and Daddy! (and Aunt of course:) AHHHH...can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to meet Chloe! What an adorable name! I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. You are going to be so helpful and such a support for her though. I admire you so much! I miss you. Let's see each other soon. :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chloe Beach! Cutest name ever! Congrats Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I think of it.. When we were in LD'Singers and dancing like mad crazy, you never complained once! You were always the life of the party! I didn't even know you had feet problems! I think that's pretty incredible Jess :D You are a great example of living your dreams to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete