I got a phone call from the NICU yesterday and it was pretty routine at first. Chloe is doing pretty well, she's feisty, etc. etc.
Then the nurse said that Chloe has chronic lung disease and edema around her eyes. Obviously I had no idea what either one meant, and I started to panic before she could explain it.
Edema is swelling caused by excess fluid in the tissues. I've noticed Chloe's eyelids have been a bit puffy over the past two days, but I didn't think anything of it. What they're doing to help with that is decreasing her fluids to see if it goes away.
Mom and I went to see her today and her eyelids are a lot less puffy, so that is definitely a step in the right direction! Chloe has such expressive little eyes that I would hate for them to be seen all the way. Oh I love her so freaking much!
The chronic lung disease is fairly common among preemies and infants in general. Hence Chloe has been on some form of oxygen since she was two days old. The lung problem basically means that she has trouble breathing but she should grow out of it within the next few months. It's very likely that she will be sent home with oxygen, which could last anywhere from a week to six months. Hopefully not too long!
Another thing: Chloe has a high probability of developing asthma. This doesn't seem like a huge deal to me because it's such a manageable thing--especially considering all the other problems she could have had. Mike, however, has asthma and part of him feels guilty because asthma can be genetic. His asthma is borderline, and we are both hoping that IF Chloe gets it, hers will be borderline as well.
*PHEW*
This has been a crazy journey so far with our precious girl and we are just so grateful for the blessings we've received during this whole thing. Chloe is gaining weight, super alert and feisty. Nothin's gonna stop her now! :)
Chloe is definitely getting a rough start, but she certainly has great parents to help her get big and strong. :)
ReplyDelete