We've all heard about how using physical force to punish a child is "child abuse." Apparently all children who get spanked by their parents or guardians grow up to be sex offenders, burglars or abusers. This thought goes even further, saying that if you don't pay for your child's car or college education, that is also abusive.
What happened to good old discipline?
My parents spanked me if I was a brat.
I was slapped if I was disrespectful to my mother.
I couldn't hang out with friends if my chores weren't done correctly.
If I lost my parents' trust, I had to earn it back.
My dad bought my car, but only after I proved to him that I could take care of it. It wasn't a brand-new sports car. It only cost $3,000 and was seven years old when I got it.
I'm grateful for how I was disciplined.
I learned to respect my parents, take responsibility for my actions and work hard for what I want.
I'm not saying I'm going to beat my girl with a stick.
But I will be "old-fashioned" like my parents.
And she will grow up as a fully-functional, well-rounded woman.
I totally agree jess! Not that Michael and are are even having kids yet, but we have talked about it this same issue. Kids need to be disciplined, and not think they have the right to have everything, I still rememeber my parents telling me that if I didn't eat what was cooked I would go w/o . It amazes me what some parents think is okay for there kids to do... Good for you and mike !
ReplyDeleteI SO AGREE i think there is nothing wrong with a spanking
ReplyDeleteI just realized how long winded I was about to be about this. In short I totally agree with you. I think it's all about the WHY and not necessarily about HOW you discipline. Spanking, slapping, or anything physical can be just as harmful as yelling, or using bad language, or insulting your children.
ReplyDeleteMy mom did the same things to me that it sounds like your parents did to you, but the biggest difference, it sounds like, is that your parents had good intentions for you when it happened. You learned a lesson, you grew from it. It wasn't you just walking in on mom having a bad day and if you said "HI" in the wrong tone of voice you were slapped or ridiculed over it. Because that is what happened to me time and time again, I won't use any kind of physical discipline on my children. I worry to much that it come across the way my mother did it to me, and I don't want that for them or for myself.
There is no wrong way to parent, in my opinion, unless you are hurting your children without reason.
I love you Jess, you and Mike are going to make AMAZING parents, and Chloe is one lucky to kid to have you both :)