Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hypothyroidism

I have hypothyroid and used to be on medication for it. However, about seven months ago, I stopped taking that medication because we couldn't afford for me to have a follow-up appointment to get my blood work done and get a prescription refill. When I went in to get my pregnancy test, the nurse told me that I needed to get back on my Synthroid because pregnant women need to be on their thyroid medication. 


I went in yesterday to Dr. Lunceford's office in Payson and OH. MY. GOSH. 


I don't know how I did it. 


First off, I got there a little early and as I was signing in, the receptionist asked me what I came in for. I told her that I needed to see Dr. Lunceford and get some blood drawn, so she told me to just go on back to the lab. 


Whilst waiting to get into the lab, I started talking to an adorable old couple. Out of nowhere, we hear the phlebotomist say, "Oh my gosh, I just can't find your vein! Oh wait, there it is. Oh  here we go. Oh, wait--oh no, I collapsed your vein! Or did I blow it? We're going to have to send you to the hospital so they can take care of it." 


ARE YOU KIDDING?


The couple and I just stared at each other. Awesome. Then the same receptionist who told me not to sign in came and told me that I needed to sign in. Really? I did so, then went to the bathroom, and literally as soon as I came out, a nurse asked for me to follow him. He checked my blood pressure (excellent) and oxygen (97%). After that, Dr. Lunceford came in. 


"Haven't seen you in awhile. Still married?"
"Yep. And pregnant." 


He did more of my vitals and then he led me to the lab to get my blood drawn. I told him that I might pass out, and he said, "Oh don't worry. My brother came in last week and we had to carry him out." Hm. Comforting?


Once again I found myself waiting at the lab, this time with an older woman. She was telling me about her knee surgeries and once again, we could hear the phlebotomist completely screwing up! She kept talking about how she couldn't find the vein and then she said, "I'm so sorry to stick you a fourth time..." HOLY H! Then, of course, my knee surgery friend went in and the phlebotomist kept messing up on her too. Toward the end, she said, "I'm sorry! It's going to look like you've been beat up!" Great. 


After the knee lady left, the phlebotomist came out and exclaimed, "I promise I'm a good phlebotomist! The last four people just haven't had very good veins. I promise I'm good, really."


Oh, well you just saying you're good must mean it's true...I'll pay no attention to all the people who left in agonizing pain, because they're just mess-ups. Ugh.


I went in and told her that I was terrified of needles, and that I was sorry if I passed out. She just kept talking to me and I made sure to look away. Surprisingly, the needle didn't really hurt, it was just a tiny poke. I was doing great, talking and staying calm, when all of a sudden I broke into such a massive cold sweat that I felt like someone had just dumped water over me. My heart started racing and I got really dizzy. She had just taken the needle out and I just said, "I'm sorry, I think I need a bucket." 


I ended up not throwing up, but I have never felt so terrible! I told her I was sorry that I was such a pansy. "I'm only 7 weeks pregnant," I wheezed. "I doubt this blood draw is helping."


She agreed. Apparently a lot of newly pregnant women have a hard time after they get their blood drawn. She said that they tend to go into a shock, which is exactly what happened to me. Luckily I got some water and felt a lot better. Plus, I got a 30% discount for paying for my visit right then and there. 


Ugh. Next blood draw: December 13. 


This baby better be cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment